icontrol®: Secure Remote Monitoring
Increased Hack Attempts on Water Treatment Plants
In February 2021, a water treatment plant in Oldsmar, Fl was hacked by an unknown suspect. The hacker entered through a remote access system used by employees and attempted to increase the level of sodium hydroxide. Dangerous levels of sodium hydroxide could have poisoned residents if it had reached their homes.
This cyber-attack was averted due to an alert operator. Cybersecurity experts have expressed a growing concern that hackers will target various infrastructure systems including water treatment facilities. In 2013, Iranian hackers were caught controlling a small dam in New York. In 2017, Russian hackers breached an American power plant and started manipulating the control system.
Need for Secure Remote Monitoring
Despite this, municipalities need the ability to remotely monitor and control various components of a water and wastewater system. This ability provides a cost-effective way to manage lift stations without having to spend human resources to physically inspect non-centralized locations. To mitigate security risks, it is important to select a secure remote monitoring and control system so that cities like Oldsmar are not headline news for the wrong reasons.
- icontrol® is the ideal solution for municipalities and operators seeking all the benefits of a full automation and control system without the required expertise and hassle of owning and maintaining these technologies. From a pure security standpoint, icontrol® is built to manage operations effectively and securely.
- Secure, remote access from any internet-enabled devices from anywhere. The customer can monitor and control their system securely via industry standard web protocols (HTTPS and TLS).
- icontrol® is housed in a tier 3+ equivalent secure data center that is manned 24/7/365 and requires authenticated access for physical security. In addition, the facility utilizes multiple tiers of redundancy for power, environmental, and IP network (Internet) connectivity.
- Operates based on industry standard data encryption to secure customer data communications between icontrol® facilities and the customer’s facilities
- Follows IT and utility industry security protocols and procedures. icontrol® requires that customers also take efforts to secure their local IT and utility assets from unwanted cyber intrusion to their application.
- icontrol® uses internal security protocols and logs system operational information. icontrol will work with the appropriate law enforcement agencies in responding to cyber-attacks.
Control – improve your system performance with full-featured, open-architecture SCADA and PLC functionality.
Asequibilidad – improve your bottom line with monthly service fees that fit within your operating budget while lowering your operating expenses.
Manageability – improve your peace of mind by focusing on your operations – we’ll manage your control system.
To learn more about icontrol, visit: www.primexcontrols.com/products/icontrol-solutions/
PRIMEX is an industry leader providing control solutions for municipal and industrial process water applications. Our technical staff includes skilled mechanical, electrical and design engineers with decades of industry experience. PRIMEX is a brand of SJE®, a 100% employee owned company based out of Detroit Lakes, Minnesota, with multiple locations across the United States and Asia. To learn more, visit www.primexcontrols.com.